The Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) course is a six-hour course accompanied by a timed, 100-question knowledge-based comprehension test.
National Tax Training School – an approved IRS CE Provider – offers this online AFTR course, and the exam is taken online as well. IRS Course ID: 3P9RV-A-00024-16-O
Annual Federal Tax Refresher (AFTR) Course and Test:
- The AFTR course is based on general filing season concepts, tax updates and typical tax filing issues specified by the IRS, and it is divided into three domains.
- New Tax Laws and Recent Updates
- General Review
- Ethics, Practices, and Procedures
See complete AFTR course outline.
- An exam must be taken to earn credit for the AFTR course. The exam consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. A passing score on the exam is 70% or higher. This course includes online and printable study guides for each domain section and an online test.
- The test must be completed in 3 hours or less and must be completed in one sitting.
- The test may be taken more than once to obtain a passing score; however, no two exams are the same.
- National Tax will automatically report completion of the course to the IRS for CE credits.
Note: No CE credit will be given to Enrolled Agents for completing the AFTR course.
Learn about our other tax preparation courses:
- Our introductory, comprehensive Tax Preparation Course
- Advanced Taxation Course
- California Tax Preparer Course
- CTEC Continuing Professional Education Course